Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

News Damnit!

I was talking with MR and he suggested that MSNBC was slanted more than even CNN. That was surprising as I thought it was more evenly critical. There is no American media that isn't on one side or another of the teeter totter of bi-partisan politics, so you have little choice but to get sided. He mentioned a TV program with some guy. I quickly interjected that I don't watch it, I read it.

Today I thought about what the difference is between reading and seeing. There is a great reason why news wants you to watch. First, you see advertisements which pay bills and make them money. Second, seeing and hearing is more personal. You feel almost engaged in a conversation, but you aren't. You are still the passive listener. Even, like zealot fans jeering the game, if you argue with that person -- what's the point?

I read the news. I can read other sources and scrutinize and better extract the important, factual work. There is no "evil theme music" online or print. There is no animated bombs or bouncing faces with text. It is more difficult to influence you without the deceptive media (intentional or otherwise).

Entertainment news should have the required label of not news, but "gossip". Paris Hilton seen reading three pages of middle-school level book --- more news on E!.

No comments: