Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Vegan indignities

If you live a vegan lifestyle, you're like an addict, having to justify to others and yourself why you choose that lifestyle. I am not quite a vegan and don't have to justify to myself at all. Most meats smell to me like what it is ... seared meat. It smells bad, not quite as rotten as roasted stomach, gall bladder and spleen, but close. If people ask me why I don't eat most meat, it's because it stinks! The better part of eating sensation is aroma and smelling.

Imagine white-laden asparagus (notes of strong bacterial growth), recently discovered months old mushrooms and/or past shelf life cottage cheese. Now, you could cook it, cut it with other ingredients, spice it, but it will be bad and smell bad. You could not get it to smell good. Beef, while I used to eat it, smells really unappealing. Poultry smells fouler still. Pork can sometimes smell okay, but I don't eat it unless it is in a heavy-cabbage eggroll. If you eat eggrolls like I do sometimes, you generally are eating pork and chicken.

I can sometimes eat hot & sour soup, but this too is beef broth with chicken broth, soy and chicken parts. There is some sliced tofu and mushrooms, but it is a chicken based soup. If it is heavy on the soy and stronger on the tofu -- it can be good.

The sad bit of some people is that they try to escape meat -- like a "catch me if you can", but loose the hide-and-go-seek game. If you give up on something, then crave it, you will always lose out. You should limit things, but not cut out things that you crave. I will eat a couple of bags of chips if I don't stop myself. I therefore will eat chips sometimes, but I won't buy them more than a few times a year. I didn't make it up to the lake cottage this year, so I avoided them there.

I don't crave chocolate thankfully, for most chocolate affects me badly. If I do get "peckish" for it, I try to find white chocolate, which affects me much less. Dark chocolate also affects me less. I know that some people avoid meat because it was once alive. What a foolish notion! Most everything around you is alive. Because it has a perceivable face doesn't it make it greater or less.

I suppose, with that thinking, if bunnies had faces like slugs -- they would be "good eats". Thinking more about facial symmetry and similar construction, wouldn't most things be off limits? To take this approach, which some do, would require supplements that would cost mucho money. I know there are third-world populations that are vegans, but I'd like to underscore third-world. Indians have what kind of mortality rate? Africans have how high of a mortality rate? This goes beyond warfare.

Some cultures don't eat meat for religious purposes, but they also don't have a lot of food around. If you reversed policy and said, "okay everyone, eat anything that crawls, walks, or runs", you'd have a shortly thriving culture. You'd then have burn out because all of the slower critters would be diminished in the area. Trying to get people to go back to a vegan diet and lifestyle then would be impossible.

In commercial fishing, there are years and decades when the call is, "No more albacore. No more abalone."
Does that mean you don't get any more orders for them?
No ... there aren't any remaining here.

Since people in the US have access to a global food market, it is reasonable to use that access to get a wide range of food, meats included. It is proven that children need lots of protein and minerals and vitamins found in different meats. People can survive without them, but they may not thrive. People should give their children and themselves the best chance at survival and eat what tastes good that is nutritionally sound. I almost want to wrongfully correct people sheltering their children from meat because it once had a face.

Be a vegan for the right reason, not because it once had a face. I can understand you want to limit the amount of processed or overly processed food. Those who want to help cute critters , well ... there's a toy shop there ... help those stuffies from being chewed.

No comments: