Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

old story

Where I once worked, come five minutes til, I'd lock the doors. I grew tired of flakes coming in ... "hey, are you still open?" Uh, you walked in the door, lights are on, what do you think? Hey, how many can I check out? Here is where I would think, crud! This dummy doesn't have an account and it'll be ten minutes with that and then more time with putz-a-palooza picking movies mixed with, "Hey! Doyougot ..."

I remember screening calls about my behavior, "Yeah, this guy wouldn't let us in at 12:10, even though there were other people in the store." Dude, I was getting out of there at 1:00 or later each night. Screw off! Perhaps, because I have had the low-end and stupid jobs I tend not to do what I hated and come in at the last minute or run in at the opening of a store expecting prompt and friendly service. I also tend not to start fights with the business, for it they don't do what's right, I'll not return ... simple.

I remember one day, at the old job, that some person was pulling on a "push" door, but with such force (rocking) that it would have easily opened with her movements. You know, if you saw no lights, no cars in the lot and the times of operation on the door and windows, you might have been given some tiny clue that the place, "WAS NOT OPEN". I would think that I couldn't be surprised by generalized stupidity, but I still get shocked by the depth of stupidty and lack of reason of some people.

I'm ranting here for, what people don't understand is that each minute after we close that I'm still doing typical operational work, means at least two minutes more work. At that rate, five minutes late = ten minutes more work. I don't like leaving later than I have to leave, especially with my long stinking drive.

Antiquated systems, like abacuss aren't nearly as useful as using tools in a faster, meaningful manner. Work has yet to pull its head out of its backside to see that.

No comments: