Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Trivial ability

In making cover letters and resume's I feel that I must trivialize much of my experience and life. When I read them, I see that I excel at nothing and dabble in trivial skills. Damnit! I'm not so little, so replacable. In the end, "I color real good" doesn't sell, and I don't know what does. Clearly, getting the right paper to the right person at the right time is what matters, but how does it happen?

I have applied many different places, got some phone calls and have little to show. How do I properly convey what makes me important and valuable? What can I write to point out that I am nono-too-shabby at quickly assessing people (decades of practice), am perpetually thinking and revising, scrutinize everything, finding errors quickly? I create and analyze. I improve work and reason out what I don't know, rearching what I can.

I could write a book of me, but I have to put it to a few paragraphs and hope the message in the bottle makes it.

So, still, desserted on a desert isle, I put messages in bottles to employers, "help me", "save me", "hire me"!

1 comment:

MR said...

I think the immediate goal should be to make a resume that gets you in the door. That is, a resume that doesn't disqualify you on sight. Even a standard-issue resume warrants more investigation and maybe an interview. A bad resume gets summary execution. I do think that each resume should be tailored to the company it's being sent to, even if it's just changing a couple of words to do it. That way the employer doesn't pick up on any desperation, but rather is left with impression that this person sent out ONE resume, to the company they want to work for.