Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

making it last

Today, a typical seasonal change was the cleaning and prepping the lawnmower. I cleaned out the base, changed the spark plug, changed the oil, tightened ever screw and removed the blade. Generally, it is wise to sharpen the blade annually, but man, this blade was bent and dented. I don't remember mowing rocks, but I must have done it, as the blade was such a mess.

I have the snowblower ready and I think that I am, as far as I can tell, ready for winter. Last winter I got a 40# container of salt, so that is all set as well. Indiana has a lovely tendency to get rain then snow leaving layers of ice under it all.

Father did teach me that with care and maintenance, a tool or car, can last a much longer time. His old station wagon of the 70s lasted 12 years in his hands and another 4 in family's hands -- not as much care. Being a handy man is handy ... a skill that was sadly not passed on to me. I am a tinker, but not a mechanic and not a toymaker.

No comments: