Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

sign of dweebishness

Monkeyjack had a formula ("I've got an angle, Charlie")+ for calculating after sale costs on eBay auctions. He didn't use excel, but the google spreadsheet app showed the formula. I use excel and tested it to its limits, never having a fast enough machine to get it to do the heinous calculations of 3 years. I later saved results rather than calcluations. Anyway, I looked at the 22 character formula and said, "just like PASCAL". Wow! That's a dead language. I thought COBOL was too, until I saw job postings for it. My brother-in-law understood, from his brother that banks still use it.

Yikes! That's like using druidic code or Latin. That langauge is not developing. COBOL ++ or .COBOL, I don't think so.

+ one of the two funny skits of Heavy Metal, 1976

No comments: