Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Heathen to heretic in just one book

My sister regards me as a heathen and I guess that I am. I don't often spout religion and in a week ago post, cursed like a sailor, but generally am tame. I don't go to church -- mark of evil, surely because only good sinless people go to church, right? Put God first, but act in a selfish manner, which is what I often see people do. God died for your sins, so let's do some sinning! It irks me that I am labeled because I don't get on a denominational bus. Well, you can't be getting there, can you if you aren't on a bus.

I tried to speak on religion with my sister, but she's on a pedestal there, untouchable. Sadly, no one is close to perfect and to believe so is a lie. Anyway, I know well enough not to discuss it, for my rational mind finds illogic in some steadfast, near or dead center fundamentalist thinking. I do not discuss books or nearly anything religious or Christian based with her. Our father didn't adhere to this principle.

He read a book that really defined evolution as the only reasonable conclusion one could make -- including macroevolution, while the author maintained his Christian beliefs. To my sister, it was like holding an orange flag cheering for red team. In no uncertain terms does she find evolution heretical. There couldn't be such a relationship to things, yet she does concede that some parts of the bible are difficult to interpret, though her sect has the only real meaning.

There's where I would come in and be heretical, but I held my tongue. Sadly, my father's on the religious **it list for thinking and speaking and hearing evolution. It, after all, has e - v (o) - l (more letters) - i, which rearranged spells evil. Sad to say those same people could not see that it also makes live.

No comments: