Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Rap Lexicon

I had a totally stupid partial song in my head. It got me thinking of a retort. 50-Cent did a "song" called Candy Shop. Boy, oh, boy! Yeah, I bet there are a load of ladies that would clamour of some flake calling out to them that they get the dream, no the privilege to felate him. Yeah. That's got to be a winning line with the ladies, right? Hey, you get to **** me. Now, were I try say that, I'd get slapped, arrested and sued. I wouldn't say for the mere reason that it is rude.

The lyrics stemming from, "the pleasure's all mine" is all too typical for rap. To make an effective rap song you need: background beats much like a jack-in-the-box for 3-5 minutes. You need breaks in that, mixed with two separate, but equal 2-20 second samples of music that you didn't make. It is also important that you shun conventions of education and use urban language and spellingz and be completely incapable of reading music or know instruments by sight, let alone use them.

When crafting a song, make sure to use a colorful mixture of self-serving sexual monologue, megalomania, a real and imagined item list of things you own, how you can kill and have done so to get to your high place, a river of profanity, and include the word God or Jesus somewhere so you can say, "look, I'm Christian". What I find interesting in America is that while there are many populations of people in the Nation of Islam, you don't hear too many songs on the radio with rap lyrics and "Go, Muhammad go" or "praying to Mecca makes me ...".

In rock's history of development there were the typical growing periods where it started out raw, bad, terrible sometimes, but learned and grew into a varied and somewhat cultured expression. Rap, having fewer years is still young, and in many ways regressing. When lyrics of "kill hooker", "dump body on street" (Eazy-E) was hot in the early 90s, you have "do whatever the **** I want" and putting a "cap in dat [long-winded profane term and ending phrase]", "made my money on crack and hos" rap clearly isn't developing. Maybe, I'm wrong.

Maybe this is the theme for rap ... kill, gain, self, proclaim, sell, soul-less

I like music and would like to see rap, an interesting mix of repeated beats and some odd sampling, turn out something good, memorable, that you might want your children to hear. Shooting people, pimping, drug selling, weapons, stepping on people to get where you are ... is that want you want your children hearing as they grow in a society that is growing more intolerant?

Dear rap "musicians", wake up, think ... start writing lyrics that matter. So few rappers even put together their own music, so their contribution is lyrics ... the one and only thing they do. You have time then to make good lyrics. Make them!

No comments: