Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

more wonders of looking

After spending hours daily looking at postings, I can see which companies really go through people. I would suggest that there is growth, but I doubt it. Moreover, there are many companies that list a job several times each day for the same location. Is that desperation? I know that I got a first phone call from some of these companies and a couple called twice (2nd phone interview). It is hardly surprising that some fail to fill positions. Once, which will go nameless, had a "good ol' boy" and "we two are in charge" mentality. I guess a question should have been, "are you sitting on his lap?"

The worst thing for people needing/wanting positions is that there is a long wait between applying and getting a response. If you want my advice, always have a job.

I have found some intersting things interviewing and applying. You will be asked standard questions for which you might have a pat and quick response, unthoughtful which may not play well. Better still are questions for which you aren't prepared that truly remark who you are. My failure is with, "What don't you do well?" That to me, always seemed the double-edged sword. If you say, "thinkin'" or "associating with stupid people" does the interview essentially end? It is a reasonable, but painful question. What should I say?

Anyway, I know where I am weak, but would rather not have that held against me in a court of law or in a job. If the truth of my dissatisfaction dealing with dogmatic, stubbornly stupid people were to slip in an interview, the interviewer might suggest, "you're going to have to overcome that".

1 comment:

Cerpicio said...

I hope you're doing more than just looking at on-line postings for jobs. Be sure to use all your contacts. Did make any acquaintances of teachers while substituting? Call some of them and see if they know of any openings.

Also, they have books with "tough interview questions" and some sample answers. I'm sure they'd be at the library. Plenty of books on the interview process, too...


-- C.