Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

family of Gustafson?

I flipped through channels yesterday, finding nothing, but stopped twice on quite flashes of landing that one big fish on fishing shows. I watched fishing shows when I was young, but it clicked early -- hey, they're spend a lot of time jabbering away and not catching fish. At other times, the editing clearly mixed different times of the day and seemingly different lakes. More disheartening was the fisherman who lands a 17-ton monster, shows it with pride that pops that baby back into the lake. In my head, "He's releasing Nessie. What gives?"

Anyway, an ice fisherman who caught and was laboriously landing a huge lake trout was Gustafson. I remembered the name distinctly from Grumpy Old Men. So, here this guy was, not in New England, ice fishing. It was too tragically funny. Later some older guy came up to help him land it. I didn't hear the playful, demeaning banter of "Putz", "bite me", "eat my shorts", or any of Meredith's more classic one-line phrases for sexual intercourse.

No comments: