Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Evil work afoot

The other morning, a tell-tale path was dug in the grass. The ditch wasn't nearly as wide as Bugs Bunny's burrowing, but it was just as winding. It likely stopped, but failed to turn at Albequerque. Something was digging, but for what? I couldn't figure out what was digging, let alone for what.

Tonight, I got my answers, a raccoon was chasing a mole. I saw it at work last night, chasing then digging. They are a good deal more nutritious than bird seed -- about all he'll find in this yard. The neighbors have a vegetable garden which has been feeding raccoons, squirrels, and opposums this year. I pity the neighbors for trying with so many greedy hands.

I would guess the digger is an adult (though smaller than some of the trashbag size urban raccoons I have seen, female. They semi-hibernate, but with a predicted mild winter, it won't have to store a large larder or fat.

Confidentially, I don't much care for the destruction that moles do, but they eat grubs that hurt plants and grass. They can help the grass be ariated, but with too many, you get moguls in your lawn. I think there are enough to spare, so I'm not unhappy about one or more being food for the raccoon.

No comments: