Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Job hunitng

I'm still doing it and found that many jobs are posted every weekend, but not during the week. After 3 weeks of posting for these same jobs -- I wonder if there is ... a problem. Today, Labor Day, in celebration of those working -- there weren't any friggin' new jobs psoted. Lovely!

"Skunked again!"+ I will find something soon. I could work better now than last week with the more drama than trauma (Mum post op, and then in ICU). I'll take the drama. I've had the trauma and hated it!

I'm still looking in the FW area, but have expanded to many areas. I'm very concerned about folks, for my sister here in town hasn't the time nor effort to help them with the petty and simple things. I've used several (12 I think) job search enegines, narrowing it after some experience, as some were company-specific and others were just worthless. I think the best jobs aren't listed at all.

MR mentioned to me that I should find a few choice companies that I want to join and tell them how I suit them and work from there. I guess I could work for Coke -- nice, benefits are good, long-standing company. Where do I fit there? I don't know.

+ Christmas Story, Ralphie not finding the orphan Annie de-coder ring in mail

1 comment:

MR said...

I just think it's easier to reverse-engineer the job you want. The first thing is to FIND a job that you would like. Then call the company, if it's a big company, get specifically the head of the department you want to work in, then you say you are VERY interested in the position and are turning in a resume, but wanted to know if they were actively hiring or if it's just going on file. If they say they're hiring, ask if you can put your resume in his/her hands instead of just submitting it with all the others. The rest is just saying positive things and demonstrating eagerness. This worked for me a couple of times, although my current job was gotten by reference from someone on the inside. Anyway, the point is, you wouldn't believe the bozos that you meet when you're trying to hire someone, if you can be a "normal person" with a sense of humor or enthusiasm, they'll hire you. Problem is, that doesn't come through on a resume.