Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Dog Tales (series) ep. iv

Sid, officially named, Yensid, is a whitish German Shephard. She's wily and wooley and big and loud. According to Monkeyjack, she's convinced that the postal workers and squirrels are colaborators in a syndicate to bring about world ruin for dogs. To this effect she always barks at the postal workers, Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, etc. She has found dead squirrels that have been tossing toys and has killed a few. I think she offers no quarter to birds either. All animals are subject to termination, especially cats (right prey size perhaps?).
Anyway ... one early memeory of Sid the puppy was her nipping my nose. Sad for me because prior to this injury I had a septum puncture that opens up every now and then giving me nice, bloody noses. This was just such a case. It wasn't her fault, she was a puppy.
She started small enough to fit easily into a bathroom sink. Now, she's large enough to push others out of a kid's wading pool. With her tail usually erect and her watchful eyes -- she loves to play. Out of jealousy she destroys Charlie's toys. She doesn't like to share ... nor did Charlie. I think he's getting over that now.
Sid had an old-man playmate Jake, who insisted that he ran the roost, though he was much, much smaller. He was the same height for a few weeks, then she grew. Later, he would easily run under her. He taught her to distrust postal workers, how to chew on people, if necessary (she doesn't employ this, but just escapes) and how to "sample" drinks and food left at the right height.
Sid loves beer as much as the dog from Strange Brew. She's an accomplished beggar and, while distrusting of Charlie, she vultures around him while he's eating because Charlie drops some food and intentionally offers some to her. She loves doing walks and used drag Lori around while she was on roller blades. While I walk her, I feel like a sled being pulled along by her.
She hops up to the door, her face in the window to see who's at the door. The are around the window is ... um ... bare of paint. It is intimidating when you hear the barking and then the face at the window. It reminds me so much of Marmaduke comics.
I used to call her "Baby". I so often used this that Lori pointed out that if I didn't stop, she's think her name was "Baby". She still greets me in the silly way she always does ... happy circles running near me, but not quite to me ... many figure eights. Then I get to meet her. When Charlie was an infant, I had to greet Sid outside because of her grand greeting of me. So silly!

-- T.B.C.

No comments: