Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

American consumers brought to their knees

Full of want and "to be the first", American consumers do what the Soviet people did in the 80s, wait in long lines. In the U.S. we have fools waiting in long lines for:
X-Box, X-Box 360, PS-2, PS-3, PSP, iPod, iPhone, Harry Potter, new entree at fast food place.

Let's face it folks, if you have that much time to waste ... say 90 minutes waiting in line for a movie ticket to see it first day, you've got too much time. If you wait for two hours for ride Vortex 720 roller coaster ... something is wrong with your brain.

If you can't wait to get a 2008 model so you'll pay the extra $2000 - $5000 for the "rare" opportunity, then you've got a want problem. I think that I've had time off a job for a while then working a fartload of hours and that's given me a better idea that I don't want to waste my time waiting to be third in line rather than just go another day. I don't dance around with bragging rights, so I think I'd rather not waste time waiting in line for something that I can get later.

Gee, if I don't get it now, it will be $5 more. Um ... OK.

1 comment:

MR said...

that's because you hate people.

The people who waited in line for Harry Potter were with their own kind. It was better described as a linear queue of celebration, they weren't just waiting. They got to stay up late, talk about it, meet new people and dress up. Not my bag, but I can see where they would find it fun. It's good to be excited about things, unless you're partial to the doldrums and advocate monotany, depression and a negative attitude wherever it can be found.

And THAT is why they go.