Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

gettin' 'ger on you

I tend to 'ger, in a modest fashion, almost like I had while teaching ... "Excuse me, but do you have any grey poupon?" "But of course", the enlisted person returns. I have been able to lightly ask and get reasonable results. I also think my pitching in and doing -- matters. I'll do, instead of waiting for a "free body" to do a simple task. Other 'gers just don't seem to want to do that. When teaching ... it was all me, solo, flying on ideas, plans, and an encyclopedia mind that could shift with needed and unpredicted turns.

This here job -- mostly, make it, do it, repeat. There is a comaraderie with the lowers and "grunts" that the 'gers might have. I still fall back on the "good ol' boys club" with the sexist and racist remarks win the wind, aka their voices. I find it disturbing at times. Most often, it's light banter, to keep up chatter and specifically generated to people who can take it and dish it out.

I wonder what the younger people there, teens too, think of the rather appauling, course, and sometimes graphic statements and inuendos. Probably ... "cripes ... those people are sickos", maybe.

No comments: