Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

offer

It isn't a long drive to work, but I have two days that end and start within ten hours of each other. My question was, "does it make sense to get a hotel room up there". I asked around to find out what hotel was fair priced and okay. A woman I asked first didn't know, but unflirtatiously offered her place. I felt odd, so I said I'd think about it. Well, I just don't think it's a good idea, so ... I can drive there, back and there again for my follow up day is shorter.

"You here a short while and we're family", said a different southern-belle woman, naturally calling for me to, "Smile ... laugh, do something." I'm a bit tense at work, as I'm just not fast. When I try to be fast, I'm sloppy. It's funny to see the veterans (of the company) there doing the job like hacky-sack -- mindlessly doing it with finesse and jovial conversation. I'm still thinking ... step A, step B, step C, step D ... read specifications ... step E. At the end of the night, I feel dull, not sharp, stupider, not smarter, weary, not invigorated. It is a different monster altogether than teaching.

Back to the offer, I'll have to decline and then drive all that time. The other side comment she made was, she'd like the company, her roommate moved out. Huh. It means nothing, but is unsettling in my mind. My back is starched and I'm thinking to remember or remembering to think.

No comments: