Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

without a driver

My sister called last night. She was at her in-laws and there was a computer problem. The DSL, which worked just 3 days ago, didn't work. I was on speakerphone and talked about the issues. They then mentioned the sound also died. That, I knew was linked. The drivers were the issue. When they opened the device manager -- it listed nothing. The in-laws had no system discs. Yep ... hosed. One of their sons, I think Mike, was going to get his XP disc and try to get it to recover XP. I mentioned also that there was likely a bug on the systemt that they needed to kill with any number of virus protection softwares.

I know not how it is now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm... for a second there, I had a moment of curiousity. That must be from being on vacation all this time, my curiousity is coming back. I was wondering things like, do they have a router or are they plugged right into the DSL modem? Does their computer realize it has a network card? Did their computer aquire an IP address from the ISP or router? Can the computer ping the gateway it's been given? Can the computer ping raw internet numbers (209.73.186.238) as opposed to domain names (www.yahoo.com). Did you reset the modem and router, and what the heck, the computer? Anyway, those are the questions I would ask if I were curious. Usually I just think "you know, there's a minimum intelligence test for getting on the internet, and that's maintaining a computer that can get on the internet. If you can't do that, it's too brutal of a place for you."