Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Patterns I could not see

The TV was a bit of a mess, in that you couldn't turn off the TV. Only unplugging it worked and that got old quickly. The man who came to repair it was knowledgable and found the capacitor (not flux) that was the problem. It exploded a bit with cracks and tears (like gas escaping). The man went into discussion with me on his number hobby -- the patterns of the powerball and other lottery numbers. He, of course, has only come close to getting the numbers, never winning the pot himself.

He had handwritten sheets with numbers, highlighting patterns (I flashed back to Lost's+ short series of numbers). I could not see the pattern and he admitted that there were aberations to the patterns, but there were patterns, he told me. My experience with lottery and powerball is that it doesn't pay out. I retain about 36% of my cash, while losing 64%. I NEVER had a large payout. I stopped playing altogether two - four years ago.

What was interesting is that he was very passionate about the patterns that he saw. He was an educated man, talking about vectors and vector analysis and numeric occurances, but ... I could not see what he saw. For all his charts, talking and showing -- it was lost on me.

+ Lost has a series of important numbers that recur in the show. These numbers allowed one survivor to win the lottery, but gave him an equal amount of misery. Hmmmm, there is the pattern I feel. The thought that the pattern will grant you something and that all things don't have a price, when they do.

No comments: