Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Park walk

On Sunday, while the weather was nearly perfect -- enough so for me, I went for a simple park walk, 2 or 3 miles tops. I saw many a thing there, nature not too afraid of humans, the tinge of color in a few leaves, the murky river and I smell ed the aroma of autumn. The largest animal I saw, but was too fast for my camera and myself was a woodchuck that scurried along the path to its wide burrow.

Something I didn't expect to see, teen boys throwing their bikes off a stairwell to the bridge. I merely stepped by, not asking a thing, for I remember as a youth, pangs of physical energy -- needing to move, destroying was more fun and I had not concentration on creating. Therein, the preference for destruction -- mindless, mostly with some benefit. I later saw the four guys; three biking and one walking. Guess which one was throwing the bike off the stairwell. They bade me only a, "hey" while I passed, they knew full well what utter asses they looked like, but who cares what an old man thinks, right?

There was a family getting photos in the flower garden, though they weren't in a wedding party. Rather than the typical, "cheese", they all chimed in with, "buttfly" with each shot. I was getting some shots of spiders lying in wait on flowers, but heard them in the background, later seeing the group finish and move on. It appeared that there weren't very many 'apparent' adults there.

I found a section near a bridge where, the last several times I've been there, a strong odor of death. I looked and searched, but couldn't find the dead thing. I haven't smelled an unprepared dead person before and wonder if it smells much like most other dead animals. I believe that there were markings near the area, as canines and other predators tend to mark areas and locales of food. Still others hide their larder, but I believe a small patch of underbrush and loose twigs covered a body of something. I suspect a fairly large animal, like a raccoon or the like. Dead fish smells like dead fish, but this smell mammalian.

Apart from a long-winded and sickening tale of dead, I continued from there to a spot under the nearby bridge where I could almost cross to the other side of the bank from stones littering the bed. I chanced upon a hawk -- first I heard it, then saw the dark shape in the wonderful blue. A minute later, a heron was in the air, long, magestic and not wanting to be around humans.

I got back to my car and the family next to my car looked peeved that I should do something as vulgar as want to leave with it. From one angle, it looked like they were continually banging the baby carriage into the side of my car. I said nothing to them and left.

It was great to be out in the open, though I'd like a job. I'll go again when I get the chance, which may not come soon.

1 comment:

MR said...

well my day was anything but a walk in the park, but after viewing your photos, I feel as though I've been there.