Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Second year I missed it!

I didn't go this year to my preferred Van Wert Fair excursion in Van Wert, Ohio. There (4-H and other groups have 1 week there) on the campgrounds. I have only ever been there on the weekend, but there are side games, critters galore, farm stuff and horse races, as well as fair rides, food, crafts (for display and for sale), where some youths are recognized for their raising of crops, livestock or even art.

In all, I like this place, for -- I can be entertained for no expense, except for parking $5. I could buy refreshments -- lemon shake up, ice cream, lamb, gyros, brats, burgers, chicken, peanuts -- "rat's smorgosboard"+, but could be equally entertained by seeing livestock I never normally see, including rabbits, piglets, sheep, lamb, calves, goats, burrows, ponies, mink, roosters, wild turkeys (not the drinks), etc. It's on a very large fair grounds, including a full-size horse derby track, where they do race. The grounds are about (maybe) twice that of good ol' Allen County's'.

It was always the signal, the shift from summer to fall for me. I hate not being there. When I did attend school, there was the first four days of school, then Labor Day weekend -- where family and I would go. My neices have been there and liked it -- for the critter menagerie also. They were equally keen on the over-priced, but carnival-only food. My one bad experience with the food was a soup that was served at around 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Why would anyone serve soup that hot? Hint -- if it melts container and/or plasticwear -- it's too blinkin' hot!

+ Charlotte's Web

No comments: