Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Be good patriot

I'm afraid that I'm a good patriot not because I watched the hours of memorial services or highlights (I didn't watch any of that), nor that I wear red-white-blue clothes on national holidays (I don't), nor because I fly a flag on the front of the house (I don't). I'm a good patriot because I believe in the US, despite its shortcomings. I love my country and its ideals. If you have to label yourself, it's likely that others can't see you as you claim to be. Wearing crosses and crucifixes by people so sinful that you'd more likely believe they were athiest or evil influence warping the minds of others ("the force has a strong influence on the weak minded"). Drug using, dealing, raping, murdering, assaulting people (60 some percent of rap) aren't followers of peace and love whether they claim Christianity, Judism or Islam).

I'm sad that "then you're with the terrorists" is used as a perfunctory statement like "Snowball did it", but with the childish strength of "I don't like you anymore. I'm not playing with you anymore." This defining phrase really underscores lies and ill-will propoganda.

Freedom should be important -- I don't remember having a memorial service for the return of the hostages in Iran, held for over 400 days. I don't remember having a memorial service for those killed by neo-nazi extremists (McVey, et al.) I'm pointing out that you keep memorials in your own ways. Televising it like a parade (parade gets less coverage) calling for "all good patriots" to watch. Sad, sick. People die and evil lives.

The people in NYC were killed by terrorists who could have used 50 planes through the US in many different cities. It is important to remember they died unjustly, as if there were just ways to die. I find it improper to claim victory with the memorial service --- or to claim patriotism because of being there -- or watching it, or broadcasting it. A patriot isn't a person firing fireworks on July 4th, it is a person loving their country.

The "must watch television" coverage of September 11 memorial services should be as optional as the Superbowl. You don't have to watch it, even if you like sports or football. Opting out, doesn't make you unAmerican or unpatriotic.

1 comment:

MR said...

Your original point of saying that you are not a patriot because you watch the memorial service was fine. But as you morphed the message into questioning why we have a memorial, and liken it to events such as the release of hostages is right about where this became the stupidest goddamn thing I ever read. In order to curtail any "that's not what I meant's" I read it over and over, and that's what you meant; criticizing its existence, not its format. I am not even about to type a message explaining why there should be a memorial service and a national day of morning on 9/11, if you don't understand it your cheese has completely slid off your cracker. I remember in the days more closely following 9/11 I would talk about the global war on terror in its specific and more general forms and it seemed to wash right over you, then you'd come back with "yeah but ENRON screwed the little guy... American big-business is out of control" (paraphrased) WHAT?! THIS is your most important issue right now?! You probably would have shot up in your chair cheering if those planes had crashed into Microsoft headquarters. As for the "ultimatum to the world" about "with us or with the terrorists" I think it was perfect wording. You're not dealing with people who are going to negotiate and talk and care about your feelings and diplomacy anymore, it said. If you're a terrorist or fascilitator, you're our enemy. Exactly the way the most powerful nation on the Earth should talk after being attacked. I'm still shaking my head at this one... what the fuck?!