Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Speaking English

I don't have a problem with "español hablado aquí". I do have a problem with people writing it off as ... well, we need to offer Spanish. Okay, why not Japanese, Madarin, Cantonese, Burmese, Sudanese, Swahili, Farsi? How many Chinese-speaking person are there in urban areas? Where I am, "city of churches", many immigrants are brought over through a church group. They are friendless, helpless, and their English is poor. How do they get help ... um ... they learn English through low-cost and no-cost ESL and English language services.
I find that many Spanish speakers are, well, dis-interested in learning English because they don't have to learn it. There are Spanish channels, books in Spanish, etc. I realize that America is butted up against Mexico, a Spanish speaking nation and is neaCentralal America, a Spanish speaking region, as well as Spanish-speaking South America and Spanish-speakinCaribbeanan islands. I understand that English isn't spoken as much down there, because it isn't a national language. Like it or not ... English is America's official language. During America's inception, there was a vote. Votes for English and German were close, within one vote, but English won.
Even though there have great demographic shifts throughout the history of the US, English is still the official language. Sadly, urban areas allow non-English by principle. I remarked on an earlier post about Urbanese being a pat substitute for English. Sadly, laziness wins over reason and Urbanese is entered into standard American usage.
Personally, I think I can go throughout my life never using: bling, "g", pimp, tap, dat, thu, thugger, mack

"pimp my ride" -- really? You are going to allow others to drive your car, then charge them when they are done? Oh, you mean make it look like you are a pimp -- one who sells women and collects the money. That would make you a charming person, no doubt.
"g" I don't like the mafia. Why would I favor other gangs who can't spell?
"tap dat azz" -- I'm sure that all women secretly hope to be penetrated this way and being likened to a beer keg
"dat" -- apparently "th" (4-6 year old development) is too difficult
"ho" -- again, I'm sure that all women secretly desire to be referred to as inflatable, mindless sex toys or female beasts in estrus. Wasn't Soddom destroyed because of rape, beastiality and other deviances of nature, sex, and humanity?

I don't use the terms, because to use them, I accept the conditions of their being. I don't call women beasts or garden instruments. I won't pimp anything and prefer to use known languages not neologisms. *

* either real words with bizarre or completely different meanings, or completely self-generated words used by psychotics. That's right. You can start complaining and drawininferenceses here.

No comments: