Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Communication turf wars

Locally, Comcast and Verizon are battling for communication to the house each now offering cable, high speed internet, and phone service. I hope that the consumer wins.

Comcast, who once tried to buy Disney, still raises its rates. Let's get that straight. A compnay, that had a ton of money, so much so, that it bid for Disney, doesn't have the money to lower rates? I think that statement doesn't even look good on paper, let alone bear out any reasonable scruntiny.

Even though Verizon is here, offering higher speed at lower costs, I haven't seen Comcast offer any better prices.
Verizon offers fiberoptic. Comcast offers coax.

A bit about Verizon:
The local phone service here is Verizon. Thankfully the wireless industry still has a number of names, though the competition is becoming smaller. If you get Verizon of lan line, like you have much choice, and them for wireless they screw you on one detail. If you call from your Verizon lan line to your Verizon Wireless phone, you get docked minutes. Am I missing something here? Doesn't the company have the same name ... same headquarters, same logo. You already have my money. Shouldn't I be able to call my cell phone without penalty or my home phone from my cell without penalty? How isn't that reasonable?
blankity blank blank money grubbers.

Comcast: from digital cable and high speed internet, monthly its around (meaning $2 less up to $30 more) $100 per month. Lets see ... for $1200 (about) annually, I get channels I'll never watch and ads on the view screen. If I'm paying $1200 annually, the company will allow me to select the channels that I will get, will deduct any and all money due to loss of signal (remember their little "done with the dish" ads). If you want to expand your selection, does a person come out to the house ... no. They change it there at Comcast. If you want to reduce your selection, there is a surcharge, other fees, taxes and a person comes to your house to "change" something.

Any phone company does something the same. If you want to expand the features on your phone, do they come out to your house ... nope. They do it at the center, free of charge. If you want fewer features, they charge you for the change. "Wellllll, (stated in song-like extended voice word that rhymes with duck) you!" *

* opening minutes of Friday, when Jehovah's Witnesses have a door slammed in their faces

No comments: