Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Lest I forget -- braving the unknown

A stupid experience with X.

We (yuck -- painful memory there) were in bed when there was a slight noise somewhere. X was worried of the tangible and intangible. She looked and saw the dogs (four of them -- white trash ... redneck -- insert name here, they were all hers) looking in some direction at a wall, leading to the basement and the second floor.

[my nickname] "Go see what that is."
"No."
[nickname] "Look! The dogs are watching." (they were all looking in the same direction.)

"So?"

"Go see!"

Now ... we weren't living the best neighborhood at the time, and during the time that we were there we heard several shootings, one murder. I didn't think there was anything about which to worry, but her continued comments were elevated in pitch in anger and worry. I grabbed the nearest weapon -- a 4 inch diamond-tipped saw blade, broken. The things that make this funny require the following understanding:
We didn't have a lot of money, and she was bound and determined to spend what we had.
In order to save some money, the heat was kept down low ... 55 at night.
She insisted on my wearing ... the simplest things -- not forming a barrier between herself and me -- namely ... my hair was my PJs.
Now ... I stand, stark naked ... shivering in the sudden cold. X quickly cocooned herself with my exiting. I hunch over for warmth and to be "less visible" in the unlit house. I looked over and the dogs -- unsurprisingly now looked at the naked fool walking around. One licked her lips, as if to hide a laugh.
I made a two-minute look and shuddered back to bed. I reported finding nothing but that the dogs knew a funny sight when they saw it.

We were quite safe -- we had nothing to steal, the dogs didn't like strangers -- noisy too say the least. The locals, seeing the dogs, worried about them, despite my statements attesting to their not real wishing to hurt anyone.

No comments: