Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

car troubles

My car troubles here, remind me of one other time. Years ago

I was living in Wisconsin, with my then-fiance' and was driving on the highway back to the house when the drive lost power and died. It had run out of oil and had seized. I had bought it 2 months prior. I had no cell phone. I was slimy and dirty from work (foundry work). So... I stopped where I could -- side of the exit ramp (up) and walked to a house (farm house) where they were not willing to let me use the phone. It was now 6 pm, dark, wintery -25 F. At stop number two, I was able to use -- get this, an outdoor phone near a barn.

I called X. She was eating dinner with her mom and her mother's 5th husband. I told them my problem and got the response, "So what do you want me to do about it?"

uh ... I can think of no rational person who wouldn't understand that the caller would like assistance ... a ride, out of the cold, perhaps dinner after working a long day ... walking in the cold. I simplified my answer. I walked back to the car -- never anyone pausing to see if I needed help near the car with blinking lights, in the cold. I waited, and waited and waited.

I went into a fetal position in the back seat for warmth. After a while, my anger kept me warm. Around an hour later -- travel time from location was about 9 minutes, they arrive -- annoyed they had to come. They asked me to try to start it. Wow! It wouldn't turn over -- it was seized. They had the great idea of me -- alone pushing the boat of a car up the exit ramp on slippery roads. Bright idea -- didn't work. They eventually bumped it up and onto the other road ... the direction away from where I needed to go.
Brilliant!
So ... after about 2 and a quarter hours ... I get out of the cold, into the car ... the mood was colder than the winter. I return, have no dinner, tired and am out of luck. Much like tonight. Thankfully, Indiana isn't typically -25 F without windchill, unlike Wisconsin which gets that cold.

It was my only winter there ... married then separated, then the long process of divorce from a quack.

Later, in unwanted corospondence ... I was told, stupidly, that the used car dealer would have bought the piece of crap back from me ... really?! Did they pocket more of my money up there? Thank goodness! It might have burnt me.

This car -- now battery-less had been smashed on the side -- by me vs cemet pillons, an old man backing down the drive, at least one bump and run, and a woman backing into me at a light. The dents inward made it smaller -- if you can make a clown car smaller.

2 comments:

MR said...

How you managed to put yourself in such a submissive position is beyond me. I can only assume that the whole selection of your wife, marriage and retreat to Wisconsin was some sort of attempt at curing depression. It's unclear whether a bright moment ever came along and revealed an unsatisfactory life to you, or your expulsion came first, but in any case that was no place for anyone to go in their lives. Clearly taking drugs and trashing motel rooms until you're out of money (read: VH1 Behind the Music) is the way to go, at least destroying things is empowering. Surrender to no one that doesn't surrender to you first (women, I mean). In marriage or on your own, be the one in charge, problem solver, loudest voice in the room. In short: "crush enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamenting of the women." -Conan the Barbarian

Marcus said...

Submissive or poor? If you had needed a ride, you'd call a friend or family. I tried that and got, what I should have expected. I could go into my lot with X, but chose not to do that. Suffice to say, I should not have done the fourth tour in Nam with X