Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Another car's death

The Buick Century -- at that time was a common car and served me well. Its sad death was at 3:12 am on a Saturday. I was asleep when I heard a resounding crash. I looked out to see my car--folded. I ran out to look and saw the fluid trail of a destroyed radiator leak. The hit and run driver, drunk or other, left the scene. I never got anywhere with finding him.
The cops were pretty nice, since it wasn't an emergency, I waited over an hour. By that time, much of the fluid had evaporated. I saw nothing, so had little to offer. He gave me a control number and that was it. Killed by a random driver.
I called the insurance company the next day and told them I wasn't interested in having the totalled car on the policy.
"Why not?"
"Uh. It's totalled."
(silence)
"It's undrivable. I don't want to pay for something that I don't have."
"Okay. Let me check. Okay. Do you got a control number."
"Yes . #######."
"Okay. You insurance will be -- $30 more per month."
"How?"
"You no longer have a multi-car discount."

I don't suggest using Progressive, the company that I had at that time.
I wish I had a suggestion to you. My current company still charges me, I think unreasonable amount since I have no tickets on my record, nor accidents, and my car is old and [previous posts] a piece of crud. $700 annual, for that thing ... unreal! Im older ... what gives!

No comments: