Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

upon being asked

I didn't recall if the concession stand at a bowling alley was open on Christmas. I remember having a job at the bowling alley for a while (high school), but never went there on Christmas. Other service jobs I had required work on holidays ... one almost every holiday. My great dislike of this and separation from family leads me to conclude:

Those who would have "family outings" to bowl on Christmas or to visit the theater on Christmas probably never once thought the of those who work there. Are they with their families? How often are they people entreated to something novel, special? Certain it owed to them, for in my experience, these workers get no "grand" extra for working. Though they might get time and a half -- I find that hardly compensation enough. They are penalized for having a menial job.

I don't shop, buy gas, or do many things that would force another to work on a holiday I would not work. Medical staff, invariably work on holidays. They too and any other stationed person should be entreated by those around, for they have little or no choice but to work.

Be a nice person, thank a service person, buy them a soda, hot cocoa or something. If you're making them work, respect that they often don't have a choice, whereas a person going to the movies VERY MUCH has a choice to not be there. Tip them, get them something nice. They are there away from family while you are there with yours. Do a nice thing -- do for them, as they are doing for you.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

No comments: