Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Disturbing

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a very disturbing cartoon special or some of the Adult Swim's submissions to the "season". I don't fault Adult Swim for continuing to play already established series, but wouldn't it be nice to suggest to the contributors that while humor is great ... some ideas just aren't worth putting on film.

Do you want an example? I had not personally seen it, because a friend told me of this scene, Andy Warhol's Dracula: "You cannot fully appreciate life unless you _____ it in the spleen." While not a Christmas movie, it underscores that some work, really, well... shouldn't be voiced out loud, or put onto film.

My opinion of the series, Family Guy, is that it's somewhere between MTV's Beavis & Butthead (80s-90s) and Simpson's Halloween specials (which are neat, but graphic). It just goes for a broader audience, not trying to totally duplicate South Park's crudeness (trying to outdo itself each episode with new ideas). I have watched 7 episodes of South Park and I'm done with that. Family Guy, from the creator of Johnny Bravo (who proves that the objectification of women is just fine, airs on Cartoon Network), is not a show I'll watch again.

It's a shame that the shows that I prefer are on later ... Sealab 2021 & Harvey Birdman, more consistently humorous -- Since I work and am typically up and showered by 6:10 a.m., it makes no sense to try to watch them. I won't own a TIVO and am not consistently watching anything.

Come to think of it ... I don't know why I'm even typing thi

No comments: