Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

DUI, DWI, why, oh why, oh me, oh my

FW posted its stats on DUIs and showed Indianapolis as a contrast/comparison. If you will note that FW has more arrests and more fatalities. I would note here that FW police, while I have some misgivings about their efficiency, have done a great job arresting people. That many arrests with a smaller force and a smaller population is a very commendable effort. I'd say cheers to FWPD for their successes, not failures. FW has a great number of "watering holes" where the tenders don't much care how much you imbibe, as long as you're off the property by close. These same places have generally cash receipts that are not tracable. Who's to blame -- the drinker, but the establishment catches blame too.

With DUIs on the rise, it's worth mentioning that DUI is a blanket term for drugs, alcohol and others. FW has the sad fate of needing a strong police force. This city is a HUB and center for drug distribution from Chicago, Detroit, Indy, Toledo. We are not in a pretty situation for drug enforcement. "We need more men"+ I don't know how many people will read this and continue or start a foul relationship with the police, but I think they are doing a noble and successful job with DUIs.

+ Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back

1 comment:

MR said...

I'm having trouble really appreciating the FWPD while it's clear that you still have misgivings about them. I'd say the whole message was a wash--while there was praise, it was carefully balanced with a disclaimer and implication of inefficiency in other regards.

...of course, the fact that they've never caught you cinches it.