Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Chipmunk taxi service

I capture chimpmunks and relocate them in a park. Some years, I transport lots of them, some years, fewer. Today, I sense that they might seek to be moved. I drove one today, opened the cage. It leapt out, happy to be free passing through a line of bushes and trees; it turned and watched me, as if--"there's no fee, is there, cuz I got no money here."

I walked back to the car, none the financially richer, but happy that it has a better chance for a mate. Finding food may not be any easier there and this late in the year, stockpiling will be an emergency issue, but it's "safe".

Earlier in the day, birds told on the naughty squirrel. I would think that birds aren't that smart, but ... they beat against the window and sat in a line watching me from the front. What the? I thought instantly that they were out of food. I walked to the back and found a squirrel eating out of a feeder pulled to the ground. The birds had told on the squirrel. They are more like children than I believed.

I righted the feeder, filled the empty ones and put an obligatory pile of seed by a large tree. I find that donating to the squirrels makes them less likely to pester the birds and the feeders, as they have a more ready supply. That isn't always the case, as they have a heirarchy -- younger unestablished ones are of equal rank and don't battle. The others battle continuously over better picking areas.

So ... as adult, you serve nature, sometimes as a slave. I'm a host, food prep and taxi. I don't get paid for my services.

No comments: