Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

undeniable

Dear Annie: I would like to comment on the letter from "Jane Smith" regarding unusual names.

I am a teacher and have had classes with a Napoleon and a Wolfgang, and I would like to tell parents who are considering an unusual baby name to try it out first. When meeting new people, introduce yourself with the name you are considering for your child and see the response.

There have been children in my class who have not raised their hands because they were embarrassed to hear their names called. Children can tease and make fun of the most common name. An unusual one truly invites a lifetime of grief. I know because I also have an unusual first name and have experienced these feelings for 58 years. -- M.

Dear M.: Thanks for the firsthand testimonial. Parents who are considering unusual names ought to follow your suggestion.

Annie's Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please e-mail your questions to anniesmailbox@comcast.net, or write to: Annie's Mailbox, P.O. Box 118190, Chicago, IL 60611. To find out more about Annie's Mailbox, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

courtesy of: Annie's Mailbox
I don't read it, but this one was mentioned to me by my father. It is true.

No comments: