Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Cartoon madness

Perhaps I'm overgeneralizing, but I think if you don't like something, you talk about it or use other methods. Sadly, I was slow at typing this, but doesn't it seem that many people react with violence rather than banter or chiding?
Granted, depicting any religous icon in demeaning ways will bring hostility, but I don't think violence is necessary -- just an excuse to be violent. I would liken a cartoon much like graffitti. Is it really that terrible and unwashable. Granted, like anything else, there are costs and penalties, but killing people not responsible? I don't see the corelation.
Perhaps MR was right about a select few being able to take a joke and not start swinging.

I think about the L.A. riots where a bad verdict was the "justification" for mass looting, murder, arson, rape, assault and other crimes. Huh? You stole to protest something in which you had nothing vested? I don't see the connection there. The people who steal, destroy and slay do so, and would do so without a reason. It is merely a cover to commit wrongs and crimes.

As for Finland. I would suggest that it was like Clinton lying about having sex. The right answer is, "yes". Their right answer before or directly after the publication should have been, "Oh, man! We are so very sorry. The people responsible have been sacked." Once there was murder, to apologize to murderers -- uh, no. Don't say sorry now.

No comments: