Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

born June 21, 1972; died ...

I was walking through a poorly-maintained cemetery. I don't know what was most scary. I wondered if there are always crows there. Crows are a common theme in horror movies and games and actually have a mythological symbolism with death. There were graves from 2007 that bore no grass. There were other 2000, 2002, 1998 graves that grew no grass. I hope that they were "relocated" to this place. There were markers broken and some overgrown with grass or buried in dirt. One was, as Tuko would call, "un-ck, un-ck"+ otherwise unknown as the cheap marker had -- ghastly, removable letters.

As I was leaving, a couple came up in a truck -- 8:40 something in the evening. There was hardly light. Still, as they sat in their truck, perhaps waving to the grave ... I wondered if they could have at least left the truck. I heard doors close, so perhaps they thought better of it. I find no joy in cemeteries, but interest. One grave site was the place of a decade(s)-old tree. Another ... a hodgepodge of markers, too many for one small place.

Another sight was large enough for three coffins. Either the one dead man there was REALLY large or they got sloppy.

The weirdest thing there really, was born some date and then the "awaiting" date for death. While I understand a loved one dying first ... there was a single plot waiting on its body. There was a couple who bought a plot, but were maybe 50s, neither were dead.

Sad to ponder were the young ... some 19, 13, few years ... some mere months or days. Still, many were forgotten, dirtied with time. Headstones for the living, but generally ignored.

+ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

No comments: