Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, June 18, 2007

smells like empathy

I've put in enough time at work that I actually feel for some of these people. Crud, I was hoping to get out before I cared. Anyway ... each has her or his own story and some are frot with self-destruction. One person, I had the bad task of letting her know that the management turned down my suggestion for her to be trained as a "specific manager". They cited that she had an, "attitude problem" and she was made aware that were she ever entered into the management world, the area would be where I suggested her to be trained, but only there.

While at work yesterday and catching on fire from the 90 something degree heat, due to ovens and the adjacent (not closed off by doors) room's heat was set at a brisk 84 degrees making my area around 5000 degrees. Later someone came in and changed it to human temperatures, but didn't affect me for 90 some minutes.

I am hoping that more and more people see and understand the simplistic laziness of the next-levelers+. I know at work I am the horse, "I will work harder", while the at times pigs-as-farmers develop new plans for windmills. I'm not quite sure who plays the role of Snowball yet, but I'll find out. Yes, it's akin to Animal Farm, but in a less Communistic way. One next-leveler remarked that something should be in one position, but walked away empty-handed, leaving someone else to move the things to the place where she went.

Now for these next-levers, I feel almost not compassion or empathy, for generally they are hypocritical and not worthy of much attention as it is most hot air. They have all the time in the world to pull people aside and give remarks here and there and experiential teachings, but aren't often willing to do the work. Oh no ... shouldn't do that.

The other people who work there, all have some kind of situation. Now, my hero-complex notwithstanding, I can't save any of them, but I can feel for them. One woman has a son, "he's an asshole", as she remarked for he is in jail for robbing a place. There are ... two married servers (waitresses), but most of them have children. That's right, do the math ... single moms, some who are living with the man responsible for the child, but can't commit to marriage. "Let's spend the night together", as Mick Jagger might say.

One newly pregnant woman/girl was complaining of feeling like crap. Huh, in an overly hot place working hard and first tri-mester of first child. Imagine that! I instictly offered an Excederin, but she was thinking more clearly than I was remarking that she couldn't take it. Kryptonite ... can't help. Another girl at work, who reminds me so much of Jennifer -- it's almost scary, wanted to learn another area in the place. So, I told one of the next-levers ... or was it a brick wall, I can't remember.

I typed a long-overly elaborate letter dictating one girl's interest in learning another area of the store where I think she would shine. It was actually something she brought up wanting. I will have to do the same for this Jennifer-like girl who wishes to move around yet some more. Perhaps the I should skip the intermediary steps, or middle management and go straight to the unit's top dog. I hate not following protocol, but if it doesn't work, then I'll have to skip it.

Finally, for I should stop here, one girl was telling me about a guy she's dating who -- by her description, is the vandal. You know ... he's the rough guy, to make other girls jealous. Then later, she'll likely say, "Hey! He was a jerk, just like he was acting to be!" Well, I let her know my opinion and expressed that I'd rather not see her hurt -- in a brotherly sort of way. She appreciated that and "don't have a brother who protects me", seemed happy that I was interested.

Also, being the rumor-stop, meaning that if the grapevine news hits me ... it's done at me. I think this is why people don't mind talking with me, for I consider things, share an opinion sometimes, but don't work on keeping the rumor mill going and keep secrets, secret. I know of people at work seeking other employment and know that some are leaving, but they haven't yet told management. These secrets I'll keep, for they were told to me in confidence. I guess this is being a hero of sorts -- a shoulder and an ear, no flying through the air required.

1 comment:

MR said...

coupla things: one of the fastest ways to commit career suicide is to go over the heads of your superiors. Generally the top brass push it down to the people they feel SHOULD have heard it (your boss) and then you have to explain why you didn't go through channels. This makes the boss look like he's not in control of his own people. This breeds contempt and all of sudden your job starts to suck until you leave.

And secondly: In that neck of the woods, if you can make them think you're their brother, you're sure to get some.