Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

I gave them days to answer -- they didn't, here's my story

I got two emails that passed through my spamfilter and into my mailbox because of the name: letters@route.monster.com. This concerned me for a great number of reasons.

I didn't like the email, as it was clearly generic and lacking any compnay names, as well as null@null.null for undisclosed recipients. I would have let it pass, but I paused and thought about the two and only two possibilities here. Either monster sold my email address or monster has been successfully routed (ha ha) and hacked. I posed this situation to tech support at Monster via chat. As per the request, I forwarded the email to Monster. Monster wrote that they would get back to me.

Hey! This is a simple binary answer. Either you have been routed/hacked or you sold my email. It should take you two or fewer minutes to answer. After a few days of no response, I submit to any and all readers:

DO NOT TRUST MONSTER.COM. They have an issue, either intentional or by limitations. Monster never returned my responses on this issue, so I can fully write that they are not going to address the issue.

I believe this will end my use of Monster.com and I would advise anyone using it to be aware of these two distinct possibilities: hacking or selling of emails. Neither is good and Monster apparently doesn't want to commit to one or the other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A network doesn't need to be hacked to forge an e-mail address. I can do it, and the process is completely external to the domain you choose to "borrow." I have sent people e-mails that said they were from billgates@microsoft.com, it's actually VERY easy to do. The fact that you got junk mail that was in the context of your computer usage (you are a valid user of Monster.com) means more than likely there is a worm out there, somewhere in the world, that saw an e-mail go by that had your e-mail on it as well as monster's, Worm virus generators attempt to get by filters and that is one of the more reliable methods, watch the datastream, then take the originator and destination e-mails and stuff a virus in there.

It is a most unlikely scenario that Monster has sold your e-mail, (too easy to trace, I'm sure they've published a confidentiality agreement to draw in customers, and the money they would get for it would be small change compared to their real business), and only slightly less unlikely that they were infiltrated. They may not have gotten back to you, but that's customer service for you, if you want an excuse to leave, since they seem to have failed you anyway, take that one.

Quick to blame, quick to anger, remember your failure at the cave... well, maybe that'll be your New Year's resolution.