Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

dead teen

my neice was sad last week, for a friend (or someone she knew) died. A day later, they announced it was suicide, by hanging. What is significant here is that he was Muslim. I believe that he was born in the US. I know in town there is a very small population of Muslims, but to my knowledge there is one or no mosque anywhere near. I understnad that it is custom, by religion, that the body be laid to rest in the ground within 24 hours. That is interesting. I could write much more on the juxtaposition some Muslims make with some of their actions, but I'll consider that later.

Of the times in any person's life that suicide is most seductive, attractive and desirable is generally in the teen years. I would hazard to guess, being a Muslim in a town with few others, with the times as they are (aggression and anger towards Muslims in general), and being a teen, I think this is tragic, bur foreseeable. The teen years are tough, but for a Muslim in this town with more direct US involvement in wars, it would be very tough to stick it out.

My sister called to see if the paper online had the obituary but it didn't. For shame, for some might need a little closure, whereas this might deny them of that. hmmmm

No comments: