Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

One more bit on Dirty Jobs

I haven't seen each and every one, but I have seen a few. A few, chosen, jobs were not very dirty but okay to watch. A, less than really dirty job was crayfish (insert any other term for them) fisherman or really ... gatherer wasn't especially dirty, but mildly funny. The flatboat pilot was about as simple of a man as I've seen. He hard spoke a word, though I wouldn't write him off as dumb. He joke spoke simply and remotely. Simple folk live in the bayous of the Gulf states, simple folk. The crayfish gatherer here used shad, but said only that it's a fish, knowing little else about them because it wasn't important to him. Comedy through conversation.

He spent time with department of natural resources, who are responsible for determining when "shrimping season" opens yearly. The slop in it all was okay, but absent was the concentration of the collection. It wasn't the main focus, but I would have been intrigued by closely examining the haul from bottom-feeders. At its face, the bulk were small fish, too large to escape the hauling process of dragnets. I did see, unaware until that time, that rays (cousins to sharks and kites) have tongues.

1 comment:

MR said...

I'd like everyone who read this to comment on it. Who's out there reading this? Please comment, I want to take attendence and get your comment on this particular message. Anyone?