Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, September 25, 2006

And he was

Joining the world of -- missing puppies and he was+ ...

Goodbye dear friend, Thunderheart. Your last months were unattractive, arthritis and little joy. Oh, but the joy you brought to others. You went camping, cooking, with girlscouts, boyscouts -- walking with others, defending them too. Your Halloween costume was never the same year to year. You put up with being used as a pillow, dress up doll ... makeup and nails painted. You got treats and handfed when a puppy and as an old man. You up and left to wander home -- walking at least 60 miles, foolish boy!

You were as much family as any, though Mom intermittantly let you have control of furniture. You barked at dogs, never acknowledging yourself as one. You let birds fly around you and ate spiders. Sweet boy, I'm sorry you died alone. You shouldn't and couldn't have lived forever, but you broke hearts when you died.

Bark in heaven ... your new home!
....
Join all your bretheren; the meek, mild, small, and the wild. I know others proceeded you, others will follow. I've never allowed much of my grief an avenue, or opened the dam. I think soon -- my buried losses shall walk (Day of the Dead) coming back and I shall mourn.

In Thunder's passing, I reminded all too well that I don't vent when I should ... for others I have not fully grieved. I think I'm about all stocked up on sorrow.

+ from Talking Heads, "And She Was" a lighthearted song when I need levity.

2 comments:

MR said...

What's the 60 miles story?

Marcus said...

One night, he hopped the fence here in FW, wandered the neighborhood (likely looking to mate), then got lost. The stinker ran off from me when I called him. Two days later he was found near Markle by a family who read the Indy tag and called the number. The 60 miles was a rough guess considering his starting point and time traveled. We all presumed that he was trying to get back to Indy. The stinker apparently knew how.