Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Accent, schmacksent; I'm a SOB

I was asked from where I had my accent. I don't have an accent, but instead, I speak proper English, as for that I am marked as a foreigner. The most telling word, "water", pronounced with two syllables. No one, and I mean no one here says the word separated by syllables, but raher by hushed grunts, "wa(hushed "t")r" in one syllable. Moreover, general speaking they are left with wonder -- "I can't quite place it" is the common phrase.

Then how come you have an accent, how come?
Accent? That isn't an accent; those are correctly spoken words.
You were naughty to make me think you were a foreigner. I will have to punish you good.

--- paraphrased an adapted from Bugs Bunny's first adventure with the abomidable snowman; this scene with is Daffy Duck.

No comments: