Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

choices

I presented a child with a choice today.
He has failed for several days to submit signed work -- due to be returned. I have reminded him the last several days that if the papers are returned, he will continue to lose some / all recess time. With this he cried. I asked him if I should call "Mom" to remind her to send in the work. He said, "no". Despite the prospects of losing recess ... all she needs to do is sign and return the papers, he will lose recess perpetually ... he chooses to lose recess. What's that home like? Should I call Mom to have her sign it ... no.

I'm calling her tomorrow anyway, it was just intersting.

Also today, a boy shouted out "N -----". Girls came up to me and said that he used the "F word". When I asked him what he said, he said that he returned a comment to him of, "N ------" to that person. The first person to use it, is a problem student in a different class, but same grade.

I don't put much faith in much of that at all. Anyway, I don't expect it to be repeated anytime soon.

2 comments:

MR said...

"Oh, I'll SIGN IT alright, and I'll kick his butt for making trouble, too!!!"

You didn't provide the context for the second anecdote, was the boy who yelled "N-----" black, by chance? (this would make it a far lesser offense).

Marcus said...

The second offender -- whom I interrogated was white, who claimed to have shouted it outloud is white, while the other person (a generally difficult student) is black. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear.