Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Geek Alert!

Back before the internet and before general consumer access to the BBS, you had to rely on dot matrix printouts to bypass security measures found in documentation. When companies found that hackers were developing counter-measures to encryption including disc speed measurements, some put piracy protection in the documentation. At times you would be prompted to enter something from the documentation.

What is the word on page ##, paragraph ##,etc. They might also use, "which lemming is on page ..." where the lemmings were in light blue that had a low probability for scanning with older scanners copiers.

I actually bought the game (Infocom's Leather Goddesses of Phobos), so ... no lawsuis please. Hank you. (As you will noe, I used he T remover). Rabbit becomes Rabbi, etc.

What does that error code mean? Well, sometimes you had to find out on your own.
I played around with commanding the old dot matrix which interestingly enough had forward and reverse commands. I also tried doing some timid programming with hex code. What a waste!
Ah, yes. Ultima series. One of the oldest RPG games. Battle monsters, develop your character, shout madly at computer for wasting your F'ing time!

What is the one true axiom? Well, that's poon-tang. According to Ultima, it is, "truth". Well, I'm sorry guys, but poon-tang is the one true axiom.

I made the above cheat sheet to read the stupid words that they put in place of letters. If you had a poor graphics card, poor monitor, poor display, you were fudged!

I need to bug a few people to see if they have old printouts or the like of 300 baud modems. I know that MR has 3.5 discs, 5.25 discs and a 12 incher (ha ha) that looks like an squared LP. Scott had ShadowNet on the next step up from the turbo PC. I think it lasted longer because it was near the AC unit at ShadowNet.

2 comments:

MR said...

The Zork trilogy is available for download on the internet for FREE. L.G. might be out there, too.

MR said...

I remember my Ultima conversation with Rob R.:

"NAME!!! JOB!!! HEALTH!!!"