Gradually degenerating into ignorance and complacency.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Steamboat Wile E. Coyote (redone)

From "Talkies" to "flunkies" to "Genius, sheer genius", cartoons have shaped the minds of the dimwitted and dull to the creative. I think few people my age have not watched, enjoyed and been enriched (like uranium) with their being.

Of course I jumped carrying an umbrella hoping to float down gently. Of course I walked off a ladder trying to both walk forward defying gravity and also tried to walk normally while falling. Of course I dreamt of explosive devices that I could put on wings. I also drew, imitated sound effects, vocal folley artistry, and found humor in what was supposed to be funny, lampooning and not-to-be attempted at home.

Those cartoons, like many childhood memories both stick out and are hidden. They are part of my life. I never had to see cartoons in the theater, save for a Disney full-length feature, but it was great to see Wonderful World of Disney on Sundays and Cartoon Saturdays with 90 mintues of Warner Brothers. "Better give me a whole lotta [cartoons], eei-eeeeee-eeeee-eeee-eee-eee, hee!"+

I watch today with karate, as though everyone and his/her neighbor had a sensai for twelve years with a mastery of Shaolin monks of thirty generations, packing training into a compact and successful 8 years. I also see Fairly Odd 'parents, where an unrepentant fool is rewarded handsomely. Honestly, I can't think that ten or twenty years down the road kids will want to revisit these genius works.

I can expect Poke'mon, for 100-200 episodes can't be wrong, and a few others.

I think I liked the underdogs in "my generation" of rerun cartoons (WB especially), favoring Daffy over Bugs, Goofy over Mickey, and Donald over Mickey. I liked Yosemite Sam, his Darren McGavin talent for near-swearing and the vaudville slapstick (displaced in the 70s/80s) of the Three Bears with Bugs Bunny.

Wile E. was a stand alone, the Roadrunner, his Moby Dick, bringing peril to himself despite his opportunties for other food.

+ Leo Lion of Warner Brothers with a very memorable laugh

No comments: